Thursday, December 2, 2010

Saginaw, What Is Going On? PART 1

I will admit, Saginaw, Michigan probably is not the only city in the United States that may be having these types of problems.  Saginaw is my home and it is sad to see everything dwindle so quickly.  The people just do not seem to care.


I remember my great grandmother used to tell me stories about when she was younger.  My mother even confirmed that grandma used to get them all spiffed up in dresses just to go downtown in Saginaw, maybe to go to a store on Washington Street, or something of that nature.  Now, look at downtown Saginaw.  It is not that type of place anymore.  My dad told me once that people used to travel from many places just to come to Saginaw.  It was a nice little area.  Now look at it.  There used to be these nice huge homes that lined many residential streets.  Now those homes are either about to fall apart because their owners do not put the care into them, burned down, or torn down.  There was so much beauty that could have been preserved and should have been preserved.  Now what can we give tourists?  I got the chance to look at some pictures of historic Saginaw.  There was so much beauty! Take some time to click on the link and browse through them.


I am not saying that no one is making efforts to make Saginaw look better.  For example, Dr. Shaheen has brought many medical facilities to the city, as I learned from my internship at the Saginaw County Chamber of Commerce.  Dr. Shaheen's idea is fantastic, because who is going to come to Saginaw for shopping or education?  Your answer is probably no one.  People definitely will travel for medical reasons.  Once we are able to make Saginaw a medical area, we will be able to bring in money to fix up some areas that need to be presented in a better fashion.  Not only is he working towards building the city back to a comfortable level, but there are also many people in Saginaw working hard, and mostly behind the scenes, to began their new ideas and innovations to many areas around town.


What can an ordinary person do to help? Just do not be the problem of why the city is dwindling.  Do not spray paint on our bridges and do not commit arson on any more of our abandoned homes.  Stop selling drugs, drinking all day, and get up on your feet and plant some flowers in your yard, or rake some leaves and cut grass in the vacant lot on the corner.  I am serious! People need to turn around somewhere and do their part!


As a student in Missouri who anxiously waits to come home to Saginaw to see family and friends, I am disappointed when I get home because everything looks so run down.  No one is putting effort, and sometimes money into what we call home.  Think of areas and buildings that we used to have: many downtown stores on Washington and Genesse are vacant, Amtrak does not even travel to Saginaw anymore and my guess would be because tourism stopped, many homes stand vacant, the Fort Saginaw Mall is gone, and many others. Home does not look so cozy when I come back.  I see things that I have forgotten about and I shake my head in disappointment.  I should see beauty when I drive in on I675.  Think of how tourists see Saginaw.  There is beauty there, we just have to reveal it. It is going to take a little work, but it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment